In case you're seeing my profile from your local Mastodon instance (and not as a non-Mastodon-using visitor of toot.phseiff.com), here are some things you might want to know about (me on) my mastodon presence.
I should probably mention beforehand that my instance has bullet point support, which your instance might lack, so you might want to read these on my account's public web interface rather than your own instance's internal web interface 😅
- I generally post only things I'm either confident in or proud of on Mastodon, such as opinions I put lots of thought into, food, links to my essays and projects, etc, so
- don't expect sadposting or anything personal on main (I'm thinking about making a separate account for that now that I get to know this platform better, though).
- I also don't usually boost any toots because that would violate my idea of having only stuff I'm low-key proud of in my timeline, since I can't be proud of something which I didn't even write. It's somewhat like digital gardening; I appreciate and love other people's plants, but I wouldn't necessarily put them into my own garden because I feel like that'd be too easy for me, and I'm not really comfortable with showcasing other people's work in my own workspace.
- I really love having my own posts boosted, though, though I understand that these two things can be conflicting. :)
- My instance doesn't have any instances blocked, as you might see. This is not because I'm anti-instanceblock or because I don't deem any instance to be block worthy (there are a lot of terrible instances out there), but merely because I didn't really notice people from any highly problematic instances in my timeline yet, and because this is a single user instance, so it won't affect anyone but me if I don't block whole instances, and also because blocking instances sounds like a lot of work which I can't be bothered to do right now, especially since blocking/muting individuals served me pretty well so far. I will do it without hesitation should the need arise, though; and please don't hesitate to tell me if you need me to handle this differently for the sake of people's safety and well-being.
- I have a 50k character limit per message rather than the usual 500 character limit. If you are not comfortable with me using a higher character limit than you can use when I communicate with you, please tell me, and I will refrain from using more than 500 chars/msg for my verbosity (I already try this usually, but somewhat irregularly).
- I don't CW food (unless if looks icky even to my standard), because I want my profile's timeline to (at least partially) look like an aesthetically pleasing testimony of my Healthy Eating Habits (TM), but I don't post food to public timelines, either (please tell me if I accidentally did this). Also, feel free to tell me that I should cw my food in case you want to follow me and it keeps you from doing so; any other cw requests are welcome too, of course.
- I love to be really verbose with my toots; please tell me if that causes any accessibility problems for you, and I will try to "re-word" it to a less verbose version for you.
- Who I follow and who follows me is hidden at the moment; that's because some of my mutuals are people I know irl and I want this account to be somewhat separated from my irl identity.
- Please feel free to tell me if I do or say anything problematic or disagreeable or act in a problematic way, or if I made you uncomfortable or overstepped some boundaries; feel free to use my DMs for doing so if you don't want to criticize me on your public time line, and vice versa
- Also, please feel free to reply to any of my toots for any reason :)
- I always add descriptions to my images, and so should you.
- I really love to tweak the little details in the things I do, so please don't hesitate if you want to tell me about any microscopic issues with some specific thing I made; every form of feedback from tiny things like wording, clarity and typos, to bigger things like structure and design is always welcome, as long as you don't mind me putting it into the backlog in case I don't have time at hand to fix these things or simply disagree with you.
- I shamelessly favorite pretty much every toot I like (though it does ofc also depend on my mood at the current time), so please don't be surprised if I suddenly favorite a whole bunch of your posts within a few minutes; it probably just means I somehow stumbled across your account or smth (I don't know how frequent people usually favorite toots on Mastodon, so I'm just adding this in case I favorite over averagely many posts).
I feel like this was probably way longer than any "me on mastodon"-like toot has ever been, and way longer than it should be, and I will probably extend and/or re-organize it in the future; but I feel like being transparent and open on what to expect of me is worth the bloat.
If you want to reply to this post, consider replying to this post's parent post instead, since your reply might be deleted once I delete & redraft this post otherwise 😅